Hello Mama,
The secretary of our mission (ha ha, Portuguese grammar) called today and told us about President Hinckley. I don’t think it has really hit me yet but we were all pretty bummed.
Last night, Sister Isabel (we switched comps for a day) and I taught a lady the first lesson. We taught about living prophets and apostles. She asked to see a picture. Sister Isabel had pictures of them and we bore testimony of President Hinckley and his apostles. Usually people don’t ask details about the prophets but we had a special opportunity to bear witness of President Hinckley.
This week we found some new families and are making a little progress with others. We are teaching a lady who doesn’t know how to read (we meet a lot of people who can’t read.) We have been reading the Book of Mormon to her with a women in the ward named Olinda. Olinda is about dads age and learned to read this year. She is a great example to our investigator and helps a lot. She really likes the Book of Mormon and the spirit is always really strong.
To respond to your questions, our house is a two-bedroom, two-bath house with a kitchen and living room. The whole house is tile floored. The bathroom is normal with a shower and toilet and everything. It is not as third world here as people think. Our washing machine broke so we still have to wash our clothes by hand and hang dry. But I am used to it. The language is coming too. I am understanding a lot more and can understand everything I read in Preach my Gospel (the scriptures in Portuguese are a little bit harder).
I am glad you got the pics. We did a little play for the Christmas conference and we made red glasses. Also, the 4 girls in our zone wore matching outfits. I am writing everything in my journal and saving all my pics so you guys can read and see when I get home. Thanks for saving the pics I sent home because they are Sister Isabel’s pics and I don’t have a copy.
Mom, thanks for your prayers. I always need them. The mission is hard but it is so rewarding. There is no better thing I could be doing right now. Thanks for everything! Have a great week and I love you and miss you.
Love Barb
1.29.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment