7.23.2008

July 23, 2008

Hello Mom,

How was your week. (I cant find the punctuation marks on this keyboard.) This was a wonderful week for me. On Saturday, Lilton was baptized. He is an 18-year-old boy who has been taking the lessons since I got here. He has changed about 100 percent from what he was about a year ago. He said he has never been so happy and so blessed. They other day, he began to ask about missions and what he would need to do to be able to serve. We gave him an Ensign (the missionary edition) and have been teaching him about preparing to serve a mission. I am so proud of him and would love to see him serve. His baptism was beautiful and there were a ton of members. My comp and I sang a musical number and the Bishop gave a talk. After, we had an activity with a bunch of members and investigators. The activity was a success and the elders in the other ward (we share a church building) helped out and brought investigators. After the activity, they brought out a cake that one of my friends from the ward made and everyone sang happy birthday to me and the other elder who had is birthday on Monday.

Sunday, Lilton was confirmed and was the best birthday present ever. He also received the priesthood. That day, we went on splits (I think that is how you say it in English, he he). I taught with one of my best friends from Londrina, Ana. I met her about 6 months ago and she used to always teach with me in Ibiporá. I sent you some pictures of us together. She came out for my birthday. We had a blast and found some interesting investigators. We taught a man who reminded me of Papa Grow. He was super friendly. I began to teach about when Jesus appeared in the Americas and he said, “I know”. I asked how he knew and he said he had dreamed about it several years ago as well as the Book of Mormon. He said he has also had other inspired dreams. I invited him to be baptized and he accepted. Wow. Ana and I were pretty shocked. His family lives on the other side of town (in the elders area) and he works in our area (where we are teaching him) so I think he will be baptized in the other ward. He is already in Alma and said he would finish the Book of Mormon in about 15 days. At the end of the lesson, he mentioned that it was his birthday. I told him it was my birthday too. He rose from his seat and gave me a huge hug. Ana and I couldn’t help but laugh as I tried to tell him, “I can’t, I am a missionary.” He gave me another hug as we left. It was pretty funny.

That night, Tania, a member, said she was planning family night and had some neighbors who wanted to hear the lessons. We showed up and the ward members were there with some investigators. Tania and some other ladies in the ward made a birthday cake for me and some other treats and they all sang happy birthday. I was shocked. It was such a great day and a birthday I will never forget. I love the people here and am so glad I have a chance to be here on a mission.

So that was my week. We have found some new investigators who we are preparing to be baptized. Remember that family with 9 kids. . . The oldest, Jessica, was baptized last week. She is 16 and the rest of the kids are pretty young. I think, however, that when they get older they will be baptized too.

How is everything with you guys. . . What is new. . . how is Michelle and the baby. . . please send me pictures of you guys. Things are going well here and I am amazed at the miracles that are happening. I know that this is the Lord’s work. I miss you all and hope you have a great week.

Love Barbie

1 comment:

oodlesofoversons said...

Thanks for sharing this with us, Lisa. Sounds like she is doing awesome and is loving it! That's so great!